My second time ever making scalloped potatoes. I made some long past when we were first married, but our eating habits changed and I just haven’t made them again.
- 3 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 9 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, diced
- 1 quart whole milk, or as needed (I used about 3.5 cups)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Arrange one layer of
potatoes in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the
potatoes with salt and pepper, 3 tablespoons flour, and 2 tablespoons
butter. Repeat layering 2 more times, until all of potatoes have been
used. Slowly pour milk over the potatoes until the dish is 3/4 full of
- Bake until the milk
comes to a boil (check after 15 minutes), then reduce heat to 375
degrees F (190 degrees C) and bake until potatoes are tender, 45 to 60
The lad: “mom! These are good. Thanks for cooking this”
Dad “: no onions hun? But he finished the pot off much to my chagrin.
Mom “I like it, I should make these more often”