I don’t know if you remember, but a couple weeks ago I told you about some creation based apologetics courses I had been looking at and later decided against. I thought today I would talk about some apologetics courses for middle through high school that I have discovered. Why study apologetics in middle through high school? It’s a prime time for our teens to be asking questions about faith. So we should provide them with answers to questions they might not even have considered yet. Ergo, here go my apologetics for highschool ideas! I’ll link up with affiliate links through Amazon for your ease.
Why a genetic apologetics course?
I seriously had thought about doing a creation or science based apologetics course. I ended up rejecting the idea because once you are right with God, the rest is going to eventually get sorted out by God. There are lots of fervent believers in the Lord who are all over the map when it comes to evolution/creationist belief. I understand the struggle that people have as I’ve been there done that, and I still have questions about some things. 🙂 It’s a complicated topic don’t you think?
BECAUSE it is so complicated, and because I know that God can work in hearts and minds in ways that don’t even understand…. it’s more important to consider matters of faith. Ergo, I moved to looking for materials that would help him ask and answer questions concerning God.
It’s good for our students to get answers to hard questions. Even better to give them ways to defend their faith. It’s excellent to create opportunities to ask questions, and to get devoted time for considering their faith (or lack their of) that often gets lost in the busyness of life. Let’s give our students, our teens, that devoted time.
It’s worth it don’t you think?
One of the things I love about the online homeschool community is the ability to connect with other homeschoolers across the spectrum. There is a HUGE knowledge base out there if only people would take the time to access it. 🙂 Mind, you need to take the good with the bad and learn how to scroll on past, or ignore the senseless comments. Generally I find there is a lot more good than there is bad. But moving on… gah.. sometimes I get sidetracked.
THIS HELPFUL community pointed me toward a few books.
- Starting Points through Cornerstone Curriculum. This is marketed as a middle school curriculum, but I was talking with a lady whose husband uses it with his 9/10 highschool class and she said it was excellent. NOTE: they DO NOT ship to Canada so you’ll have to turn to Christian book distributors to find it. This apologetics course will also give you credit for history, language arts and bible.
- I’m trying to remember who recommended The Problem with Jesus. But it intrigued me enough to want to take a closer look at it. It’s intriguing. Looking at the historical Jesus, within context, and how it matters to the church and what we can do with that. It’s not going to be the first book I start with, with my lad, but it’s one I want to look through myself.
- The one that popped up time and again was “I don’t have enough faith to be an atheist”. When I asked hubsters about it he says he’s heard tons of good things about it and then “Use it hun”. So we’ll be starting with this book. I got a physical copy of text and workbook for the lad, and then the ebook version for myself.
Other options for Apologetics for HighSchool
- Summit Ministries has middle and high school curriculum to help young people understand their faith better and to be able to defend it as well.
- Apologia has some worldview materials suitable for highschool.
- You might like accessible apologetics. Making apologetics accessible to everyone.
- True U, developed by Focus on the family, has a number of smaller courses.
- The Defense Never Rests was developed for 10-16 year olds has about 10 lessons.
- Seeking to cover the six big questions that teens often struggle with the Big question has six lessons.
- A catholic based apologetics course Why Believe.
Other Books you might find helpful
- When God Goes to Starbucks.
- That’s just your Interpretation.
- Who Made God?
- The Reason for God.
- On Guard.
- Stand Your Ground.
So what say you? Have you done an apologetics course with your teens? What did you use? Have I missed anything you think I should have added? Apologetics for HighSchool is such a pivotal part of raising faith believing adults don’t you think?