Wow… I found it rather difficult to find a tuna noodle casserole with cheese sauce difficult. They all seemed to use kraft dinner as a base and I didn’t want that.
I eventually found this one, declared it good enough, and modified it just a touch.
- 1/2 cup butter, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package uncooked medium egg noodles
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (5 ounce) cans tuna, drained and flaked
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Modifications: No mushrooms (goal is to have son eat it as well). A touch more egg noodles as I wanted to use up a wee bit left left in another bag. I put about 1 cup grated cheese into the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a medium baking dish with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add egg noodles, cook for 8 to 10 minutes, until al dente, and drain.
- Melt 1 tablespoon
butter in a skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in the onion, celery, and
garlic, and cook 5 minutes, until tender. Increase heat to medium-high,
and mix in mushrooms. Continue to cook and stir 5 minutes, or until
most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Melt 4 tablespoons
butter in a medium saucepan, and whisk in flour until smooth. Gradually
whisk in milk, and continue cooking 5 minutes, until sauce is smooth and
slightly thickened. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in tuna, peas,
mushroom mixture, and cooked noodles. Transfer to the baking dish. Melt
remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small bowl, mix with bread crumbs,
and sprinkle over the casserole. Top with cheese.
- Bake 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until bubbly and lightly browned.
Modification: Added the butter into the vegetable mixture and then mixed the flour into it and added the milk slowly to that. Stirring the whole time. I added finely ground old cheddar to this milk/veggie mix.