I may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. :) Click here to go to my disclosure policy.
I was orginally going to entitle this post, the wicked shall not inherit, but then I read the chapter again. While it is true that that wicked shall not inherit the earth, it is more true that our job is to watch AND pray. Let us then consider WHY we should watch and pray.
In 1 Corinthians 6, Paul is talking with a church that he has spent a lot of time with. He’s seeing things in them he doesn’t like to see and so offers a series of six questions. Questions that begin with Do you not know?
- Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases?
- Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life!
- Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?
- Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute?
- Do you not know that he who is joined to a prostitute becomes one body with her?
- Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.
We are Not Immune
You would think that all believers would know these truths, particularly ones that have been taught by solidly biblical pastors. But that might not true. People don’t always know what we expect them too. Sometimes the world influences us in ways that we don’t expect.
Take the age that we live in now. Sensuality and money influences about everything you can think of. Think you aren’t influenced by that? Please… think again. We cannot for one moment take for granted that we are immune to certain sins, even some of the grosser sins in Paul's catalogue! The Faith Shaped Life by Ian Hamilton Click To Tweet
Watch and Pray
So we need to watch and pray. We need to pray that we are kept from the evil one, that our churches not succumb to the pressures of the age in which we live. We need to be alert to influences of the world creeping in in ways that we might not expect. 1 Peter 5:8 tells us that we need to “Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.”
We need to pray that we don’t deceive ourselves, that we not be compromised by the prevailing wickedness of the world around us. Watch and Pray. The earth belongs to the Lord but the devil fights him hard. Let’s not help him. Bring glory to God.
If you’d like to follow along in The Faith-shaped life, amazon link is below.
Before I leave today, I’ve just realized I only have 6 more chapters to go before I am done this amazing book. I don’t know about you, but I’ve been thoroughly enjoying going through this book. I’m getting rather curious about what book I should go through next. These are the books that I am considering. What are your thoughts?