Today we had time to pull out our gummi experiment
It was interesting.
your average gummy bear is 1 x 2 cm.
- in milk 2 x3 felt solid
- in plain water and sugar water 2.5 x 4
- in lemon juice 2 x 3 felt mushy AND the colour was faded
- in splenda water x x 3 but much bigger (bulkier)
- in salt water he was 16 mm x 8 mm
- olive oil and corn syrup didn’t change the size but change the texture and shape. the lad said “mom, they are HARD” and the olive oil one had a misshaped head.
- Vinegar was fascinating. we didn’t try to measure it because he was all mushy.. “feels like Pee!” It was “GROSS” Much and many exclamations about it. “disgusting!” and the colour was a very pale yellow.
- Jam – feels like a gummy, was very sticky so difficult to measure .. we think he was 2.5 x 2 cm
- cranberry juice – “he got darker” measured 2.5 x 3 and was bigger.
We did not try the corn syrup, olive oil, vinegar or milk ones.
This is a GOOD experiment to do with a budding scientist. 🙂