The homeschool review crew does a weekly challenge and this week they chose the challenge of “the perfect picnic”. And honestly… my thought was … I got NOTHING. I don’t do “perfect picnics”. Now give me a quick lunch in the park… and that works for me. Seems like less pressure and I don’t do pressure stuff too well. ANYWAYS, it got me thinking about easy food for the road. If I’m out travelling, what are my go to meals?
Last week I talked a wee bit about food when we chatted about what to pack for a field trip. In this household, we don’t do complicated meals when heading. To be frank, I don’t understand why people do.
I’ve gone on a fair number of field trips over the years with other homeschool families. Often I was surprised at the amount of food other moms brought along. I wondered where they found the time to get it all ready on a field trip day. 🙂 I just think to myself… make it easy for yourselves mommas!
So how can you make a lunch out easy? Particularly ones that are fairly nutritious!
Easy food for the road
All these with fruit and cheese work excellently. Chips as well if you want. Add in whatever you need for a drink.
- Scones: a dry scone with jam, or a sweet scone with fruit cooked in.
- Sandwiches: whatever suits your fancy
- Wraps: so many options
- Pizza or cheese buns
- Muffins: ham/cheese, applesauce, high fibre, whatever works for you
- Croissants: chocolate, as a sandwich, cheese-stuffed, etc.
Not as quick meals, or might take a bit of planning ahead. You may need a freezer bag or a keep-it-hot thermos.
- a lot of leftovers will travel well
- Salads: potato, veggie, or pasta
- cut up veggies with hummus and/or dip, with cheese and crackers
- chili with a bun
To make it easy, affiliate links to amazon. No cost to you, helps to support my blog.
Did I miss anything that you might use for easy food for the road?